The writing beast update
Hello my dearest, dark, apocalyptic beings!
Remember the Zs are coming any time now! Did you do your homework? Did you learn how to fish, start a fire, or build a shelter?
We WILL be learning all that here at Our Familiairum because…
Will be all about survival at the end of Springgedon! I was a girl scout for many years [and we didn’t bake cookies we did some hard-core survivalism] so every time I have a chance I teach my Spawns survival skills as part of our Bunkerized Chicken Coop Project. for example as we hike I teach them how to identify edible plans for foraging. They already know how to start a fire so I’m hoping to teach them how to fish, set up a tent and some Primitive cooking methods. We will be doing some backyard camping early summer and some real camping on Labor Day AT THE BEACH! So I’m making all my check lists and writing instructions for the Spawns. And I’m so excited I CAN’T EVEN! 😀
So if you haven’t yet.. Go and learn some survival skills!
BECAUSE THE WORLD IS GOING TO END PEEPS!
At least in my book! Because… That is what…
THE END OF THE WORLD!
So Camp NaNoWriMo is on and few things have happened …
- I didn’t start writing until April 3rd because I was not done with outlining. 😏
- I realized outlining is PARAMOUNT. Separating entangled subplots was really SO IMPORTANT! It was what really got me writing again! So, I wanted to kick my butt several times for having been so obnoxiously against it! [and you disgusting pervert little subplots… STAY AWAY FROM EACH OTHER, OK??]
- I ended up with this yummy character profiles spreadsheet
[and don’t ask! I have no idea how those shirtless guys ended up there people! 😱
My WIP is in the desert so MAYBE they are hot! And that’s why they took their shirts off! SMH! Humph!]
So far I completed some of the basic information such as names, what kind of fantasy character they are [one clue… they are definitely NOT zombies or sparkly vampires, nor high fantasy creatures like dragons, elves, or fairies], a brief description AND [this is so exciting OMG!] the enneagram!, which is “a nine-sided figure used in a particular system of analysis to represent the spectrum of possible personality types”. So I assigned one of the nine a personality types to each character:
Type 1 – Reformer – I do everything the right way.
Type 2 – Helper – I must help others.
Type 3 – Motivator – I need to succeed.
Type 4 – Romantic – I am unique.
Type 5 – Thinker- I need to understand the world.
Type 6 – Skeptic – I am affectionate and skeptical.
Type 7 – Enthusiast- I am happy and open to new things.
Type 8 – Leader – I must be strong.
Type 9 – Peacemaker – I am at peace.
These nine types pf personalities are very generic and I hope at the end my characters are much more than this labels BUT it was a GREAT start. 🙂
- So, I also ended up realizing that character profiles are indispensable and again tried many advanced yoga poses to kick my own butt for having neglected this step for so long!
- I happily realized too that two years of on blogging has paid off! Words flow so much more easily now!
- I was also very content to confirm that pantsing is as crucial as plotting. The magic that happened when I sat and started pansting… OMG! I wrote 6.1K words last week. That’s 31% of my goal! 🎉🎊
- I was enlightened by the holy spirit of writing and not only wrote those wonderful 6K words but I actually came up with a great draft blurb and synopsis that then took me to draft my first query letter!!
WHOHOOOOOO Agents, Be Aware Here I Come!
Well… I don’t know if I’m going like RIGHT this minute but, since I’m this unstoppable writing beast now, I did came up with a plan. Maybe the bigger beast Real Life is will devour me before I implement my plan, but if not, then some query letters will be mailed before the end of the year! 🙂
Untoppable Writing Beast [UWB]’s plan
1) Spring – UWB wins Camp NaNoWriMo and in May she writes whatever more words she stills needs to get to 450 pages.
2) Summer – UWB FINALLY enters editland and kills at 100 pages worth of darlings and finds some poor unsuspecting beta readers to read her first draft.
3) Fall – UWB uses beta readers’ input to finish second draft, sends query letters AND TAKES A BREAK?? [a cruise to the Caribbean would be VERY NICE!]. 🌊☀️🍹
4) Fall – UWB buys a beautiful BIG “Rejection Letters Box” to save the avalanche of rejection letters she will get before getting THE LETTER.
5) Fall – UWB uses feedback in rejection letters to fix her draft and sends more letter.
6) Winter – UWB may cry rivers 😩 if she doesn’t get THE LETTER and may have to work on a Machiavellian plan to self-publish.
And, yes, after all this writing, still…
You may have noticed that I have been reading LOTSA WWII/holocaust books, which I hope to keep reading regularly because I think we should never forget.
I finished Wolf by Wolf which was AH-MAZING!, Hedy’s Journey: The True Story of a Hungarian Girl Fleeing the Holocaust, which was really good and touching, and the The Boy in the Striped Pajamas which I will have a hard time reviewing. I really liked the book BUT I do see how people had issues with the MC and some historical facts. Boy, MANY people liked this book. According to wikipedia… “As of March 2010, the novel had sold more than five million copies around the worldIn both 2007 and 2008, it was the best selling book of the year in Spain, and it has also reached number one on the New York Times bestseller list, as well as in the UK, Ireland, and Australia.“ BUT the people that dislike the book REALLY disliked it. Some people felt REALLY offended by it. Like this review and many of the comments in the review. I agree with some of their points. so, yup, hard one to review.
And talking about superlatives…
I also finish The Things We Lost in the Fire: Stories and I tell you, man this book is NO JOKE. Probably the darkest stories can remember reading. And I’m a huge fan of Edgar Allan Poe who I have read all my life, so go figure!
Unfortunately not all book have been this exciting. The Night Mark may be a DNF. When I open the book I can’t stop because you know is Tiffany and her writing is just like a siren voice to me. But then I finally fall asleep and I don’t want to get back to the book again because I cannot see any plot here. Characterization bigger than life, enthralling storytelling, engrossing writing but where is the PLOT???
Reading Next Hardcover
I can feel my inner reading beast craving some fantasy now so that’s why fantasy is starting to invade my TBR hardcovers shelf now. However, They are some contemporary MUSTS that I hope I do get to read before I slide down the rabbit hole.
Reading Next eARCs
Next Audio Books
What about you my fellow apocalyptic beings?
Are you also an unstoppable reading and writing beast these days? 😎
What are you writing? Are you doing Camp NaNo? What are you reading?
Or maybe, just maybe.. Are a you Big Mushy Happy Lump just as I hope to be soon?!😬
BECAUSE I NEED A BREAK! 😜
Thank you for visiting!