Welcome to the last post of “It’s a Wrap – 2016”!. This last post is about our favorite family moments and our goals for next year.
We had such a great year that it’s really hard to pick just a bunch of favorite moments! We are immensely grateful for 2016. We were surrounded by family and friends and embarked in many wonderful adventures…
The kids had a wonderful 2015-2016 school year. Grasshopper was consistently in the honor roll and his teacher nominated him for the National Youth Leadership Forum: Pathways to STEM , which was an awesome experience! As an honored alumnus of NYLF he was also offered the opportunity to attend the Presidential Inauguration in Washington DC! And even though Butterfly is too young for the honor roll, she also earned very good grades and plenty of acknowledgments at school as well.
Other academic adventures included: Grasshopper being invited to be part of a First Lego League robotic team and qualifying to the State Championship!. 2) Us starting our own FIRST Lego League Junior [FLL Jr.] team, Imaginarians, and starting YET another blog to document all these STEM adventures: www.imaginarians.org. Hope you all visit us!
As far as sports go, this was a great year as well. I obtained several soccer coach certifications and coached two town competitive teams. The kids tried out and got into a great soccer club where Butterfly is playing in the next age division and Grasshopper’s team won all tournaments in which they participated this year! He also got his referee certification during the summer, and his first paid job in the Fall!
This was a year filled with artistic endeavors and achievements as well! The kids enrolled in a School of Rock Music to learn electric guitar. Grasshopper started taking piano and saxophone lessons and played in his first School band concert. Butterfly’s ballet school culmination act was beautiful, she “graduated” and moved on to their core program. She was also [finally!] old enough to attend her first auditions. She auditioned for and got selected to perform at two local traditional holiday performances: Coppélia and The Nutcracker. They were awesome!
There was also a Reviver Challenge and learning archery and horseback riding Daryl Dixon’s style, for when the zombies come! 🙂 We enjoyed our summer and fall family time in New England and started a hiking hobby that we continued at home.
We concluded this year exhausted but incredibly happy! This was a year that will probably be hard to top but… we will try!
We are ready for next year’s adventures, especially Grasshopper’s FLL State Championship and his trip to Washington DC for the Presidential Inauguration! Then, we are looking forward to accomplish these goals:
- Another successful school year with good grades and maybe some more acknowledgments and awards. Grasshopper will start middle school which means a new school so finger crossed the transition goes smoothly.
- Kids trying out and being accepted again to their soccer club
- Kids starting in a rock band at their music school
- Butterfly auditioning and performing again at Coppélia and The Nutcracker
- Piano lessons and NYLF for Butterfly
- B-dad and I should find the time to either go to the Y or hike.
- We are WAAAAAY overdo for a real family vacation of at least one week-long!
- Start the family cookbook that part of our 2016 goals
- Get started with our Society6 shop with the kids art work
- Finish my Work in Progress [WIP]!
- Participate in my first NaNoWriMo. I did the NaNoWriMo Camp this year so maybe I should do real deal in 2017!
- Blog more consistent and efficiently. So I decided to continue this “It’s a Wrap!” as a regular feature to summarize what happened lately on the blog, and maybe what’s coming up nicely in one post. Not sure how often this will happen but I’m hoping at least monthly. I would also like to be participate in the 2017 Book Blog Discussion Challenge @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction. and in the New England Reading Challenge
- Practice yoga more consistently
- Get over my reading slump for good and read all the books I said I was going to read this year. This is what is in my GR to-read shelf now…
What about you? How was 2016 for you? What are your goals for 2017?
Thank you for visiting!